Thursday, October 28, 2010

SHOPPING

Back in Delhi and the shopping is fine. Not to mention Kalimpong (rug), Darjeeling (tea, silk embroidered Kashmiri coat, Pashmina shawl, wool embroidered jacket). Gifts back in Agra at Kohinoor, a world famous store where I got a lapis lazuli ring on our first trip to India. They have expanded to a new location, and the same masterworks of embroidery grace their walls. But I digress.

Margaret buys sets of faux jewelry, and bangles and individual pieces at every turn. Her habit when traveling to India is to bring very few cooties and have salwar cameez sets made up. She bought five or six three piece sets. Dupatta always included. A dupatta is the scarf Indian women always wear that is difficult for us Western women to keep in place. Or at least for this western woman to keep in place. Today, at Dilli Haat, I got a two piece set in Afghani style with tight legging like pants, very much in style, I am told. It is cotton and casual and may be fun to wear at home. I can certainly bring it next time I come. And I got a set of four wooden bangles to go with, following Margaret's excellent example. Dilli Haat is a very nice market with goods from all around the country. it is laid out well with brick stalls for the vendors and places to eat regional foods. At last Lois and I got to have moms, Tibetan type dumplings which are either steamed or fried. We had order of each in chicken. Very yummy served with hot sauce.

Yesterday we went to the Red Fort. Wouldn't you know, the original plan of 1639 included a covered bazaar which still operates today. another chance to stock upon bangles for Margaret and I got a pair of fake gold earrings for Rs100.

Delhi has many famous shopping areas, and we did not get to many. It is a Mission trip, after all. We did go to Connaught Road twice. The first time was pretty disappointing to me and the second time last night to find a jewelry store that had been recommended. A friend had given me some money to get her a pair of earrings. We didn't find the one we were looking for,but did find a lovely pair of earrings in her price range. I hope she likes them. We also happened upon a cheap luggage store to get duffel bags to haul the loot home in. Besides the rug, we all have mountains of literature that shouldn't be thrown out before we can read it. Or not.

I like to do my Christmas shopping on vacation and there is no better place than India.

No comments:

Post a Comment