Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sunday's Sermon

During the Sermon on Sunday Jimmy talked about our upcoming trip and how we would be extending the hand of love and friendship, deepening relationships with our sisters and brothers. He relayed a conversation he had with his dentist, who is of Indian descent. The dentist talked about the huge contributions Christian missionaries had made to India through schools and hospitals. These institutions trained and cared for anyone who came to them regardless of caste, creed, race, etc. And it was within these institutions that the caste system began to be broken down as people were forced to be in the presence of people they would not otherwise have tolerated.

Christians, Buddhists and Moslems raised people from untouchable and outcaste to children of God. Imagine learning that you are a person of worth and loved by the God who created you. A powerful message to people suffering on the edge.

Today I completed my application for an Indian Visa. I'll be going in to NY to submit it on August 2nd with Jimmy and Lois. Now all I have to do is remember the safe place where I put my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment