Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Self Discipline

Every day I think about the Blog. do I have something to say? Is is important enough to write about? Clearly, this line of thinking is not productive.

Every day should be moving forward towards our trip, making it more productive, educational, fun, etc. And most days we do move forward, especially if you count tangential contacts. For example, I met with Arvind Vora, Chairman of the Multi-Faith Forum of the Long Island Council of Churches. Through him I have met other members of the Council, some of whom are Indian. Every new contact has the potential to open new doors.

Yesterday I spoke with my dear friend, Shaan Mehta. Shaan's mother, Birjees and my mother were very close friends so we are family to one another. Shaan tells me her mother will be thrilled to see me when we are in Delhi, which is very good news. And she has messages for me to share with a shopkeeper or two in Darjeeling.

Jimmy has made some wonderful contacts for us and we will be meeting with educators in the US and in Delhi who are well known for their knowledge of Dalit Theology. We have much to learn.

And now I must reach out again to see if I can connect with someone in Etah. Even though the General Secretary of the Church of North India is trying to help, I think I need to give it another try.

I am reading a very good book lent to me by my sister, Eleanor. "The Age of Shiva" by Manil Suri has many references to Hindu beliefs and traditions and to the effects of Partition. It is the human story of love and desire, motherhood, and all the nuances of familial responsibilites and relationships. A great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment