Tuesday, September 29, 2009

AG McGaw's Undergraduate Years

AG (Abert Gordon) left home for the College of Wooster in Wooster, Ohio on September 9, 1887 at the age of 23. He had taught locally and worked on the family farm, which was sold shortly after he arrived at College. "The Farm where I have spent almost all my life. Those acres over which my weary limbs have been dragged, as my mind turned to this place and longed for these opportunities. Now I have them, what will I do with them?"

Upon arrival he immediately made his way to Chapel and then met his room mate, a young man of less serious intent. AG became active in the YMCA, going to meetings regularly; he attended Presbytery meetings which were held at the College; prayer meetings and Chapel. He particularly enjoyed Bible class and expected to "get great good from it" thinking "it may be the means of doing good to others."

Like many Journal writers, AG makes regular entries during his first year at school. Entries cover sermons heard, excerpts of letters from family, chestnut and apple picking, class socials, football games and the like. But the theme of service to others is woven throughout. Upon his return to school after the Christmas break, he writes "What the outcome of '88 will be I know not, but I hope I shall have gained much in Christian life and the discipline of my mind."


No comments:

Post a Comment